Friday, January 9, 2015

You Ain't Takin' That From Me


Everyday I fight for
All my future somethings
A thousand little awards
I have to choose between

I could spend a lifetime
Earning things I don’t need

That’s like chasing rainbows

And coming home empty


And if you strip me,
Strip it all away
If you strip me,
What would you find
If you strip me,
Strip it all away
Ill be alright

Take what you want
Steal my pride
Build me up
Or cut me down to size
Shut me out
But I’ll just scream
Im only one voice in a million
But you aint taking that from me

'cuz when it all boils down
At the end of the day
It's what you do and say
That makes you who you are
Makes you think about it,
Think about it
Doesn't it
Sometimes all it takes is one voice

Everyday, I struggle with remembering what's truly important. I see all of the cute things I want: all of the nice cars, big houses, cute clothes and accessories...what are those? Distractions. I need to remember the real rewards of my life: my family, my friends, and my integrity.

Mikayla and I watched "Up" last night. When the old man started throwing all of his furniture out in order to make the house lighter (so the balloons would be able to lift the house up and he could then go and save his little sidekick and the bird...wow, that's a mouthful) Mikayla asked me why he was doing this...I explained that he had to make it lighter to be able to fly. She asked, "But why is he throwing away all of his stuff?" to which I simply said,"because things don't matter, Mikayla...people do."
(This answer seemed to make sense because she said "Oh." and kept watching.)

I hope that I can continue to get this simple, yet difficult, message across. That me and my family will always look for ways to find happiness through helping and standing up for what we believe in rather than through the trivial things that, in the big picture, don't really matter.

My children will hear many voices throughout their lives...I'm only one voice in a million. But there's no way they can hear me if I don't speak up. I not only have to have a voice, but I have to live as an example (which speaks much louder than words).

Don't get me wrong, I still love shopping, I still love decorating...I'm just not going to chase other people's rainbows, but instead, I'm going to be happy with what I have while aspiring to make a better life for me and my family.

This song has so many different ways I can interpret it...maybe I'll post about other ways later ;). I love it!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Firstly...amazing that Mikayla was satisfied with an answer! Maybe those little neurons in her noggin are starting to make sense of her little world....

Great words of wisdom. And you are right. what are we all trying to accomplish in this life, and where do our priorities lie?

Kinda the age old question of distinguishing between want and need.

Valerie Done said...

Ruth.....you are amazing.....